Saturday, August 18, 2007

I would like to disagree...

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Over 500 votes has been cast so far for the "Should we publish a pictorial" poll. At the beginning, after about 100 votes cast, it seems like nearly everybody wanted to have this pictorial. As time went on, the "NO" votes increased, and right now, they make up about 20% of the votes.

I've also read the comments posted in this blog regarding the publication of this pictorial. I was impressed by everyone, who commented rationally, without resorting to name-calling and verbal sniping, or to insulting and discrediting the other party.

In the world today, those in power will not hesitate to condemn those who with dissenting views with the strongest, harshest terms possible. If those in power think you have "insulted" them, or cast suspicions on possible wrongdoings, they will not hesitate to call you "traitor", or "sell-out", or "threat".

I once read that you can disagree without being disagreeable. The comments posted on this blog rightly reflects this statement. If we feel afraid to speak our mind, always under the shadow of being branded as "traitors", then what does our freedom mean? That being said, we should take action responsibly, not for the sake of starting a fire. We should not feel afraid to disagree, as long as it is done responsibly. As ancient Chinese philosophers said, "Think thrice before acting" (san si er hou xing).

I personally feel that this Merdeka 50 performance is a once in a lifetime opportunity for everyone. When Merdeka 100 comes, I'll probably be in a wheelchair or an urn. It is up to us to create an accurate history of what really happened. The story of Merdeka 50 is the story of the common people's triumph. I told a dear friend that if we don't do this pictorial, we will be letting the performers, crew and our members down.

That being said, it is not up to me to decide if this pictorial will be published. I'm just expressing some of my views. Feel free to disagree with me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mn....feel harsh to comment on this view.....
but does freedom=peace....or...
rules=peace.....
that's something v really have to think abt...

frm,twinkle sin@,@''

Anonymous said...

If publish the pictorial, I personaly feel that it should be also included other states' besides Project Merdeka-50. Other states r also having performers, crew and our members who r struggling for the national celebration on different locations.
However, if the pictorial is focusing on Project Merdeka-50, I feel that it will be "meaningless" for other states' performances to own the pictorial.

Unknown said...

In an article published in The Star Newspapaper very recently, Tunku Abdul Rahman said something to this effect, "There can be no peace without freedom, no freedom without peace."

You have raised a very thought-provoking question. Think about what you can do.

Dennis said...

I believe a Dvd and a Cosmic special edition will suffice. Dvd is a good and effective souvenir to record all picture (pictorial), moments and video; at an economic price. Cosmic special edition is a good way to boost Cosmic circulation and kosen rufu. I'm sure our soka friend and passive members will benefit from Cosmic special edition with its regular article of encouragement and faith. I don't think we need a book pictorial because it is not economic. Most of the performers are very young and some come from poor family.